Make a Holiday Santa Stocking
Use three kinds of paper, tinsel, and scrapbook stickers to incorporate a scrapbook style into your stocking.
What You Need
- Tracing paper
- Red and cream silk fabric: 3/4 yard of desired color for stocking and 1/2 yard of desired color for cuff
- Sew-in craft-weight interfacing
- Matching sewing threads
- 12-inch length of 5/8- to 1-1/2-inch wide wire-edged ribbon for hanging loop
- Crafts glue
- Needle and thread
- 12-x-12-inch sheets of three coordinating red patterned papers
- Fine wire
- Embossed scrapbook stickers
- Gold tinsel
How to Make It
Note: All of the stockings use the same patterns and are assembled in the same manner. Refer to the Embellish the Stockings portion of the instructions for directions on trimming specific stockings.
- Trace the stocking and cuff patterns from the pattern pack onto tracing paper; cut out shapes. Use the stocking pattern to cut two stockings from your choice of silk for the front and back, reversing one of the shapes, and two from interfacing. Cut four cuffs from the second silk and two from the interfacing.
- To sew pieces together, use a 1/2-inch seam allowance with right sides facing. Machine-baste the interfacing stocking shapes to the wrong side of the stocking front and back. Sew the stocking front to the back, leaving the top edges open. Trim the seams and clip the curves.
- Turn the stocking right side out; press. Machine-baste the interfacing cuff shapes to the wrong side of the cuff shapes. Sew the cuff front to the back at the side edges. Press seam allowances open.
- Sew together the side edges of the cuff lining, press seam allowances open, and turn right side out. Slip cuff lining into cuff with right sides together; sew bottom edges together. Turn the cuff right side out and press.
- Baste the top edge of the cuff and lining together. Slip the cuff inside the stocking with the right side of the cuff facing the inside of the stocking; sew to stocking.
- Fold the cuff over the right side of the stocking about 1 1/2 inches from the seam. Fold a 12-inch length of ribbon in half. Sew the ribbon ends inside the stocking, centered along the back. Or sew the ribbon ends to the top corner on the heel side of the stocking.
- From one patterned paper, cut a 1-3/8-x-12-inch and 2-3/4-x-12-inch strip.
- Beginning at a short edge of one strip, make accordion-style pleats; finger-crease each pleat. Pinch one pleated edge together for the center of the fan; secure with wire.
- Glue the short edges of the pleated paper together, forming a circle. Repeat for remaining strip.
- Attach an embossed sticker to each fan.
- Apply glue along the back edges of the fans and along the edge of the larger sticker. Press tinsel into the glue; let dry.
- Cut a 1-1/4-x-6-inch strip from each of the remaining patterned papers. Cut an upside down "V" from one end of each strip.
- Glue the paper ribbons to the back of the larger fan. Glue the small fan centered on the front cuff and the large fan on the stocking.