Make a Holiday Photo Stocking
Celebrate your little one with a photo stocking, embellished with ribbon and tinsel.
What You Need
- Tracing paper
- Red and cream silk fabric: 3/4 yard of desired color for stocking and 1/2 yard of desired color for cuff
- Sew-in craft-weight interfacing
- Matching sewing threads
- 12-inch length of 5/8- to 1-1/2-inch wide wire-edged ribbon for hanging loop
- Crafts glue
- Needle and thread
- 2-3/4-x-18-inch strip of cardboard
- Silver acrylic paint and paintbrush
- Gold glitter
- 1 3/4 yards of 5/8-inch-wide ribbon
- 2 oval picture frames with hanging loops
- Silver tinsel
- Small silver ball ornament
How to Make It
Note: All of the stockings use the same patterns and are assembled in the same manner. Refer to the Embellish It portion of the instructions for directions on trimming specific stockings.
- Trace the stocking and cuff patterns onto tracing paper; cut out shapes. Use the stocking pattern to cut two stockings from your choice of silk for the front and back, reversing one of the shapes, and two from interfacing. Cut four cuffs from the second silk and two from the interfacing.
- To sew pieces together, use a 1/2-inch seam allowance with right sides facing. Machine-baste the interfacing stocking shapes to the wrong side of the stocking front and back. Sew the stocking front to the back, leaving the top edges open. Trim the seams and clip the curves.
- Turn the stocking right side out; press. Machine-baste the interfacing cuff shapes to the wrong side of the cuff shapes. Sew the cuff front to the back at the side edges. Press seam allowances open.
- Sew together the side edges of the cuff lining, press seam allowances open, and turn right side out. Slip cuff lining into cuff with right sides together; sew bottom edges together. Turn the cuff right side out and press.
- Baste the top edge of the cuff and lining together. Slip the cuff inside the stocking with the right side of the cuff facing the inside of the stocking; sew to stocking.
- Fold the cuff over the right side of the stocking about 1 1/2 inches from the seam. Fold a 12-inch length of ribbon in half. Sew the ribbon ends inside the stocking, centered along the back. Or sew the ribbon ends to the top corner on the heel side of the stocking.
- For the cardboard ribbon, cut an upside down "V" from the bottom end of the cardboard strip. Paint both sides of the cardboard ribbon silver; let dry.
- Brush crafts glue on one side. Sprinkle glitter on the wet glue; let dry. Center and glue 5/8-inch-wide ribbon on the cardboard ribbon.
- Center the cardboard ribbon under the front cuff. Tie tinsel through the hanging loop at the top of the oval frames.
- Position the frames on the fabric ribbon. Trim the top end of the cardboard ribbon if necessary. When you're pleased with the spacing, glue the frames to the cardboard ribbon.
- Lift the cuff up and sew the top edge of the cardboard ribbon to the stocking front. Fold the cuff down over the top of the cardboard ribbon. Hand-sew tinsel around the cuff 1 inch from the bottom edge.
- Make a bow with the remaining ribbon. Hand-sew the bow on the tinsel at the center front of the cuff, attaching a small ball ornament at the same time. Trim the ribbon ends.