Cable-Knit Christmas Stocking
Simple ribbon trim adds festive color to an old sweater for this cozy stocking.
- Cable-knit sweater: ecru
- Water-soluble marking pen
- 1/3 yard of lining fabric
- 1/8 yard of wool felt: red
- 1-1/4 yards of 3/8-inch-diameter cord
- 8 inches of 1/2-inch-wide ribbon: ecru
continue reading below
- Trace the stocking pattern onto tracing paper; cut out.
- Form the stocking cuff from the waist ribbing. With stocking pattern right side down, pin top edge of pattern even with inside edge of sweater waist ribbing; center arrows on pattern with a sweater cable. Using a water-soluble marking pen, extend edges of stocking through waist ribbing to outside edge. Cut out stocking front.
- Turn over pattern and sweater; pin pattern right side up to sweater. Cut out stocking back. Cut a stocking front and back from lining fabric, adding 1/2-inch seam allowances along the top edges.
- Cut and piece 2-inch-wide strips of red wool felt to measure 43 inches long. Fold the strip over the cord with wrong sides together, and sew close to cord to make piping.
- With right sides together and allowing for 1/2-inch seam allowances, sew piping around cable-knit stocking front, except do not sew piping to ribbing.
- Due to the bulk of the cable-knit fabric and felt, the stocking back must be hand-sewn in place. With wrong sides together, turn under seam allowance on stocking back and pin it to the stocking front. Hand-sew stocking back to stocking front, starting and stopping where piping ends.
- Using a needle and thread, overcast raw edges together on each side of the ribbing. Turn ribbing down to form cuff.
- Sew together lining pieces with right sides together. Press under top edge 1/2 inch to wrong side of lining. Insert lining inside stocking. Fold ribbon in half for hanging loop; slip raw edges of loop between lining and stocking and pin in place. Hand-sew lining to stocking around opening, catching hanging loop as you sew.