Supplies for each stocking include tracing paper, matching sewing thread, and an 8-inch length of 3/8-inch-wide ribbon for a hanging loop.
General Instructions: Trace the stocking pattern from the pattern pack onto tracing paper; cut out. For the Heel & Toe Stocking and Crazy-Quilt Stocking, trace the heel and toe and crazy-quilt shapes separately onto tracing paper, adding a 1/4-inch seam allowance to the inside edges of each crazy-quilt shape; cut out the patterns. When sewing pieces together, use a 1/4-inch seam allowance with right sides facing unless otherwise indicated.
A red velvet cuff and embroidered creamy-white cotton give this stocking sophisticated appeal and a crisp holiday look. Minus patterned fabrics, the stocking easily meshes with traditional Christmas decor. Three big buttons on the cuff add a finished look with a bit of sparkle.
- 1/2 yard of cream-on-cream fabric
- 1 yard of narrow cording
- 1-1/2-x-36-inch bias strip of coordinating fabric
- 7-x-10-1/4-inch red velvet cuff rectangle
- Three 1-inch-diameter silver shank buttons
- Use the stocking pattern to cut a front and back, reversing one of the shapes, from cream-on-cream fabric.
- Center the cording on the wrong side of the bias strip.
- Fold the fabric over the cording, matching the long edges. Use a zipper foot to sew through both fabric layers close to the cording. Baste the piping around the sides and foot of the stocking front with a zipper foot.
- Sew the stocking front to the back, leaving the top edge open. Trim the seams, and clip the curves. Turn the stocking right side out.
- Fold the ribbon in half, forming the hanging loop. Aligning the raw edges, sew the loop to the top inside corner on the heel side of the stocking.
- Sew together the short edges of the red velvet cuff rectangle; press open the seam allowances. With wrong sides facing, fold the cuff in half; baste the raw edges together. Slip the cuff inside the stocking, centering the cuff seam at the center back of the stocking. With the raw edges even, sew the cuff to the stocking. Fold the cuff to the right side of the stocking. Sew the buttons to the cuff front.
Continued on page 2: Crazy-Quilt Stocking