- 5/8 yard of coral moire taffeta (front, back, hanging loop)
- 1/2 yard of coordinating striped fabric (cuff, piping)
- 5/8 yard lining fabric
- 13 x 20-inch piece of fleece
- Matching rayon embroidery floss, decorative twist rayon thread, and sewing thread
- 2-1/2 yards of 1/8-inch-diameter piping cord
- 13 x 20-inch piece of fusible interfacing
- Nine 3/8-inch-diameter gold bells
- Fabric marking pen
- Ruler or straightedge
- Graph paper for pattern
1. Download the free pattern for this project. (Downloading requires Adobe Acrobat software.) Enlarge the stocking pattern onto graph paper; cut out.
2. For stocking front, cut one 13 x 20-inch piece from moire taffeta. (Set aside remaining fabric.) Trace the stocking shape onto the right side of fabric; do not cut out shape at this time. Use fabric marking pen and ruler to draw a grid of 1-inch diamonds covering entire stocking shape. Place the stocking fabric on fleece with the grid up; pin in place outside of drawn shape.
3. Cut pieces of rayon embroidery floss long enough to cover the grid lines. Separate the floss strands, and use three strands of floss along each grid line. To machine-quilt fabric, sew over floss with a narrow zigzag stitch, using decorative twist rayon thread in needle. Cut out stocking front on traced lines.
4. From moire, cut one stocking (reverse the pattern from the way you cut the front) and one 2 x 7-inch hanging loop. From striped fabric, cut one 12 x 16-inch cuff piece and enough 1-1/2-inch-wide strips to measure 1-1/2 yards in length for piping. From lining fabric, cut two stocking shapes. From interfacing, cut one stocking shape.
5. Sew together the piping strips to make one long piece. Center the piping cord on wrong side of strip; fold fabric over cord, matching long edges. Use a zipper foot to sew through both fabric layers close to cord. Pin piping to sides and foot of stocking front with raw edges facing out. With zipper foot, sew piping to stocking; clip seam allowance of piping at curves for a better fit. Trim off excess piping.
6. Align interfacing stocking on wrong side of stocking back; fuse following manufacturer's instructions. With right sides together, sew stocking back to front along piping stitching line with a zipper foot, leaving top open. Trim seams; clip curves; turn right side out.
7. Sew all pieces with right sides together, using 1/2-inch seam allowances, unless noted. Sew the 12-inch edges together, forming a tube. Fold cuff in half lengthwise with wrong sides together, matching raw edges and seams; press. Position remaining piping cord inside the cuff and up against the fold; trim excess cord; sew next to cord with zipper foot. Slip cuff onto stocking with cuff seam at center back and raw edges even; baste.
8. Press under 1/2 inch on both long edges of 2 x 7-inch moire piece. Fold in half lengthwise, bringing folded edges together and enclosing the raw edges; press; edge-stitch. Fold strip in half; sew to the top right corner of stocking with raw edges even.
9. Sew all pieces with right sides together, using 1/2-inch seam allowances, unless noted. Sew lining pieces together, leaving top open and a 4-inch opening in one side for turning. Trim seams; clip curves. Slip stocking into lining, with right sides together and seams matching; sew around top of stocking. Pull moire stocking through opening in lining; slip-stitch opening closed; tuck lining into stocking. Pull cuff away from stocking; sew 1/4 inch from top of stocking, through stocking and lining layers. Fold cuff down over stocking.
10. Sew bells evenly spaced along bottom front edge of cuff.