Cutout Tree Stocking
Two contrasting felt colors make this graphic design successful.
What You Need:
- 1/2 yard each of red and white felt
- Red sewing thread
- Small sharp embroidery scissors
- Fade-away fabric marker
- Pinking shears
- Seven small white pompoms
- Fabric glue
2. On one red piece, transfer the tree design to the back and cut along the lines with embroidery scissors, removing the tree images. Layer the felt pieces, sandwiching the white piece between the two red pieces so the tree cutout is on top.
3. Position the pattern over the felt so the tree design on the pattern is aligned with the cutouts. Lightly trace around the pattern. Sew the top two layers together along the top edge. If desired, sew 1/8 inch from the cut edges to hold the red and white fabrics together. Sew all the layers together along the outline.
4. With pinking shears, cut the top layer of felt close to the stitched line. Cut the second layer 1/4 inch beyond the first and the third layer 1/4 inch from the white.
5. Cut a 1 x 8-inch strip of felt for hanger. Fold the hanger in half crosswise and sew to the inside back of the stocking. Glue pompoms to the tips of the tree.