What You'll Need
- Tracing paper
- Pencil and scissors
- Felted wool: 16x25-inch piece of dark green, 8x8-inch piece of red, 6x6-inch piece of white, 4x6-inch piece of yellow, 4x5-inch piece of blue, 3x6-inch piece of brown, 2x8-inch piece of gold, 2x3-inch piece of peach, and 2x2-inch piece of olive
- Freezer paper
- Glue stick
- Needles: beading and embroidery
- #8 perle cotton: gold, brown, red, blue, ecru, peach, and black
- 1/4-inch circle hole punch
- Sequins: iridescent round, star, red round
- Sewing thread: gold, dark green, off-white, and peach
- Crystal seed beads
- Four black E-size beads
- Powder blush
- One small brass jingle bell
- 8-inch length of 1/4-inch-wide red grosgrain ribbon
- Sewing machine
How to Make It
Note: Work embroidery stitches with #8 perle cotton unless otherwise specified.
Note: To attach sequins, thread beading needle with off-white thread. Bring the needle from the work side of the fabric, up through the sequin, thread on a crystal bead, and return to wrong side of fabric through same sequin; continue.
- Download and print the free pattern. Trace the stocking pattern pieces onto tracing paper; cut out. Use the pattern to cut two shapes from the 16x25-inch piece of dark green felted wool for the stocking front and back. Also cut a 1-1/2x5-inch hanging loop from the dark green fabric.
- Position the freezer paper, shiny side down, over the Santa pattern. Trace the patterns the number of times indicated and include the color names as an identification aid. Cut out the shapes along the traced lines.
- Using an iron, press a freezer-paper shape, shiny side down, onto the front of the respective fabric; let cool. Cut out the fabric shape along the pattern edges. Peel off freezer paper.
- Referring to the photo, use a glue stick to lightly tack the wool pieces to the stocking front and each other.
Applique the jingle bell border:
- Position two 1/4x8-inch gold strips on the stocking front, placing the first felt strip 1/4 inch from the top and the second strip 1 inch below the first strip. Sew the strips to the stocking front with gold running stitches.
- Position a 1/8-inch gold band on each yellow felt jingle bell and attach with gold running stitches. Make 10 1/4-inch-diameter circles from brown wool with the hole punch. Attach two brown circles on each felt jingle bell with iridescent sequins.
- Using brown perle cotton, backstitch each circle to the felt jingle bell edges, making a large X. Sew the felt jingle bells in place between the gold strips with gold running stitches.
- Make a red French knot above the center of each felt jingle bell, take a long stitch to the upper gold band, and make another French knot.
- Finish the felt jingle bells with two red lazy daisy stitches.
Applique Santa and stocking:
- Arrange the Santa and stocking pieces on the stocking front, adjusting the positions as needed. Remove all stocking pieces and the top layers of the Santa pieces. Use red to blanket-stitch the side edges of the coat and the side and bottom edges of the pocket.
- Position the white fur strips on the center front and bottom edge of coat; attach with blue running stitches. Place the arm on the coat and use red blanket stitches to attach.
- Position Santa's face and beard on the stocking front; attach the beard with ecru running stitches. Add mustache with ecru running stitches. Use peach sewing thread to whipstitch Santa's nose to the face, using overcast stitches and pulling tight. Add black bead eyes, straight-stitch eyebrows with ecru perle cotton, and stitch a red French knot mouth. Use powder blush to add rosy color to the cheeks.
- Use red to blanket-stitch the hat to the stocking front; add the fur strip with blue running stitches.
- Attach the brass jingle bell at the end of a long stitch made from the tip of the hat. Add iridescent sequins to fur strips.
- Position the stocking to overlap Santa's coat; place the heel and toe pieces on the stocking, and sew them in place with red running stitches. Place the cuff over the stocking top, tucking candy canes behind it.
- Use running stitches to attach the candy canes with ecru and the cuff with red. Position the bear pieces on the stocking front, tucking the arm under the head and overlapping the head with the left ear; attach with brown running stitches. Add the muzzle with peach running stitches. Use brown to straight-stitch the nose and backstitch the mouth. Add black bead eyes and blush on the cheeks.
- Attach hearts near Santa's boot using red straight stitches. With brown, make a French knot and two lazy daisy stitches on the toe of the stocking; add a long straight stitch from the French knot to each heart.
- Position Santa's mitten to overlap the stocking. Add the fur cuff strip; use gold running stitches for the mitten and blue for the cuff. Embellish the stocking with star sequins. Use red round sequins to attach two holly leaves and to make stripes on candy canes. Tie a bow with the ribbon and tack below the bear's chin; trim the ends.
Applique the presents:
- Stack the presents on the toe area of the stocking front; sew each in place with matching running stitches. Place the yellow bow above the top present and add a 3/16-inch yellow ribbon strip, folding the top end over the center of bow.
- Using gold, attach the ribbon strip with running stitches, and make a French knot and two lazy daisy stitches on the bow.
- Add star sequins to the presents.
Finish the stocking:
- With wrong sides together, pin the stocking front to the stocking back. Use a 1¿8-inch seam allowance to machine sew the front to the back, leaving the top edge open.
- Fold the 1-1¿2x5-inch hanging loop in half, aligning the long edges. Hand-sew running stitches 1¿8 inch from each long edge. Pin the ends of the hanging loop to the top inside corner of the heel side of the stocking front and back.
- Machine- or hand-sew the loop ends to the stocking 1¿8 inch from the top edge of the stocking.