Start new traditions this holiday season with these ideas for the whole family to enjoy.
Start Your Own Traditions
- Bring back an old-world tradition your family has lost. Ask grandparents how they used to celebrate.
- Take your family for a sleigh ride. Have the driver take your picture to get an annual record of this special time out.
- Preserve a special family holiday recipe by writing it down and giving copies to all the cooks in your clan.
- Make and date an ornament each year. Your Christmas tree will become laden with crafty memories.
- Start a holiday movie night that includes a handful of classics, including Miracle on 34th Street.
- Visit a living nativity scene. Dozens of Midwest cities have them, complete with actors, animals, and storytelling.
- Go to a local school's holiday concert or play.
- Gather your family around the tree and have each of them name three ways they were blessed this year.
- If your meal needs a lift, trade the traditional turkey for a new dish. Find one you like; start a new tradition.