Fortune Cookie Napkin Rings
Use polymer clay to make fortune-cookie napkin rings that give each guest a holiday message.
Upload your photo here.
What You Need:One package of polymer clay makes four napkin rings.
- Waxed paper
- Sculpey III polymer clay: Ivory Brilliant
- Flat drinking glass
- 2-1/2-inch-diameter circle template
- Darning needle
- 3 mm gold round beads
- Metal baking sheet
- Aluminum Foil
- 2 chopsticks
- Gold metallic acrylic paint
- Acrylic varnish
- Crafts knife
- Crafts glue
- Industrial adhesive
- 1 yard of 1-inch-wide red suede ribbon
- 3/8 x 2-inch strip of white paper
- Gold metallic pen
1. Cover your work surface with waxed paper. Knead the clay between the palms of your hands until it is smooth and pliable. Flatten the clay into a 1/8-inch thick sheet by rolling out with a flat glass. Place the circle template onto the clay sheet. Use the darning needle to cut around the template.
2. Use your fingertips to gently smooth the cut edges of the circle. Form a small crescent-shape clay wad with leftover clay; place the crescent onto one half of the circle. Fold the circle in half over the crescent. Press the edges of the circle together, leaving a small opening to insert the fortune. Bend the half-circle at the center, forming a fortune-cookie shape. Press the gold beads onto the top of the cookie.
3. Place the cookie on a foil-lined metal pan and bake in a 275 degree F oven for 10 minutes. Let the cookie cool.
4. Paint the chopsticks with two coats of gold metallic paint, letting dry between coats. Apply one coat of acrylic varnish. Let the varnish dry.
5. Criss-cross the chopsticks and use a pencil to mark the spot where they cross on the bottom chopstick. Use a crafts knife to carve out a spot. Glue the chopsticks together at the carved out spot. Using industrial adhesive, glue a cookie to the chopsticks; let dry.
6. Find the center of the ribbon and glue the right side of the ribbon to the back of the chopsticks. Let dry overnight. Use a gold metallic pen to write a fortune on the paper strip. Slip the fortune into the opening of the cookie. Wrap the ribbon around a folded napkin.