Every guest will feel welcome when sparkling lanterns surround your door.
What You Need:Line your walkway with these glittering cans for a look that's more modern than traditional luminarias.
- Metal cans in assorted sizes, cleaned and with paper labels removed and saved
- Plain paper cut to fit the can (optional)
- 16-penny square nail
- Punch-style can opener
- 16-gauge galvanized wire
- Votive candle
Instructions:Use winter designs -- like this snowflake -- when you chip away pieces of ice.
1. Fill the cans with water and freeze them overnight. (Freezing makes it easier to hammer a design into the can without damaging the shape of the can.) Don't worry if the bottoms bulge slightly from the pressure of the ice.
2. To make the paper pattern, use the wrong side of the label or plain paper trimmed to fit. Fold the paper in quarters to keep the design elements evenly spaced. Unfold and draw lines, stars, chevrons, squares, Vs, or other simple geometric shapes on the paper.
4. Let the ice melt completely. If the bottom of the can became distorted in the freezer, gently hammer it back in place. Use the punch-style can opener to make triangular holes along the top and bottom edges of the can.
5. To hang luminarias, cut a 20-inch length of wire and bend it into a U-shape. Insert the ends from the inside of the can to the outside through holes in opposite sides of the can. Curl the ends back over the top of the can. Place a votive candle in the can.