- 4x8-foot piece of 3/4-inch particleboard
- Tape measure
- 12-inch piece of 1-inch-diameter dowel
- 5-inch piece of 1/2-inch-diameter dowel
- Drill with 1/2- and 1-inch drill bits
- Sharp knife
- 39-ounce coffee can (6-3/4 inches tall with a 7-1/8-inch diameter)
- White, black, and orange spray paints
- 3 strings of white Christmas lights
- Grapevine branches
- Artificial greens and berry stems
- Construction adhesive
- Caulk gun
1. Download the diagram for this project here. Downloading requires Adobe Acrobat software.
2. Mark and measure snowman front/back piece. Measure 12-1/2 inches from edge on one 8-foot side of board; lightly draw a line the entire length of the particleboard, referring to the diagram. Beginning at the 4-foot side (the bottom edge) of the board, measure along the marked line at 10-1/2-, 29-1/2-, and 42-inch intervals, and mark each with a dot. Beginning at the bottom of the board and using the 10-1/2-inch mark as the center point, draw a 24-inch-diameter circle. Draw an 18- and 12-inch circle in the same manner using dots as center of the circles. Note: The circles will overlap.
3. Draw slot-cutting lines. Measure and mark a dot along the center line 24 inches from the bottom of the board. Draw a parallel line 3/8 inch from the center line on each side of the line to create a 3/4-inch-wide slot.
4. Measure snowman sides piece. Measure 34 inches from the opposite 8-foot edge of the particleboard and draw another center line the full length of the particleboard. Measure and draw 24-inch- and 18-inch-diameter circles in the same manner as directed above for the snowman shape. Measure and mark all the cutting lines for the slot as directed above.
5. Measure additional pieces from particleboard. Draw two 2-1/2-inch-diameter eyes, three 3-1/2-inch-diameter buttons, and one 10-inch-diameter hat brim circle in an open area of particleboard.
6. Cut out all of the pieces, including slots.
7. Drill. For nose: Drill a 1-inch-diameter hole 3/4 inch deep along center line of snowman front/back, 6 inches from top of the head. For buttons: Mark and cut a 3/4-inch strip from center of each of the 3-1/2-inch-diameter button circles. Set aside half-circle shapes. For attaching hat: Drill a 1/2-inch-diameter hole, 1 inch deep, into top center of snowman's head and in center of hat brim. For inserting arms: Drill a 1/2 inch diameter hole in each side of snowman front/back, 6 inches from neck. For light sockets: Measure and drill 3/8-inch holes every 2 inches around perimeter of snowman front/back and side pieces. Drill a 1/2-inch hole in the neck to pass light string through to the front.
8. Cut mouth pieces. Cut 7 disks, 3/8-inch thick, from 1-inch-diameter dowel.
9. Whittle nose. Use a sharp knife to shave end of 1-inch dowel until it resembles a carrot.
Continued on page 2: Assembly