We have 2 looks here -- traditional red and gold as well as bold hot pinks, turquoise, and green -- to show you how pretty this project can look.
- Opaque glass ornaments in jewel tones
- Clean soft cloth
- Medium-point permanent marker with metallic gold or silver ink (available in crafts and stationery stores)
- 1/4-inch-wide ribbon
- Use pens with silver or colored-metallic ink for a wide variety of looks.
- Have each person in the household design and sign an ornament.
- Hang the ornaments with inexpensive gold chain (available from jewelry supply stores or catalogs)
- Make matching wrapping paper by drawing bigger versions of the same design on solid-color gift wrap (you can do this either before or after wrapping the gift), then embellish by tying an ornament to the package ribbon.
- Gently clean the surface of the ornaments using a soft cloth to remove any dust or debris.
- Add designs. Use the medium-point gold or silver pen to add swirls, squiggles, or other decorative marks all around each ornament. (You may want to doodle a bit on paper with an ordinary marker before you pick up an ornament.)
- Add ribbon for hanging. Thread an 8 to 10-inch length of ribbon through each ornament top and knot or tie in a bow as desired.
- OPTIONAL: Sign your work of art. Using the fine-tipped pen, sign your name and print the date in small lettering on the bottom or back of each ornament.