Quick Gilded Ornaments
Plain ornaments get a touch of genius with this idea. You'll make easy stars, swirls, and dots in minutes using ordinary ball ornaments and metallic paint pens.
continue reading below
- Use pens with silver or colored-metallic ink for a wide variety of looks.
- Have each person in the household design and sign an ornament.
- Hang the ornaments with inexpensive gold chain (available from jewelry supply stores or catalogs)
- Make matching wrapping paper by drawing bigger versions of the same design on solid-color gift wrap (you can do this either before or after wrapping the gift), then embellish by tying an ornament to the package ribbon.
- Gently clean the surface of the ornaments using a soft cloth to remove any dust or debris.
- Add designs. Use the medium-point gold or silver pen to add swirls, squiggles, or other decorative marks all around each ornament. (You may want to doodle a bit on paper with an ordinary marker before you pick up an ornament.)
- Add ribbon for hanging. Thread an 8 to 10-inch length of ribbon through each ornament top and knot or tie in a bow as desired.
- OPTIONAL: Sign your work of art. Using the fine-tipped pen, sign your name and print the date in small lettering on the bottom or back of each ornament.