Old World Santa Claus Christmas Ornament
Capture the likeness of Santa Claus with bits of fabric and faux fur in a vintage interpretation the jolly elf.
0 did it
What You'll Need
- Tracing paper
- Red satin fabric scraps
- Flesh-color cotton fabric scrap
- Cotton batting scraps
- Red fun fur scraps
- Polyester fiberfill
- Sewing machine and double needle (40/80)
- Flesh-color sewing thread
- Hot-glue gun and hotmelt adhesive
- Black permanent fabric marker
- Powder blush and small brush or cotton swab
- 9-millimeter-diameter gold/silver jingle bells
- 6-millimeter-diameter red jingle bells
- Artificial holly leaves or greenery trim
- Thin metallic thread and needle
continue reading below
How to Make It
- Download the free pattern and trace onto tracing paper. Cut out.
- Cut two Santa body patterns from red fabric. Cut one face pattern from flesh-color fabric.
- From cotton batting, cut one piece from the beard pattern and one from the face pattern. Cut one 1x7-inch piece of fun fur.
- With right sides together, stitch around body pieces using a 1¿4-inch seam allowance. Leave an opening at the bottom for stuffing. Turn and insert fiberfill through opening and stuff well. Stitch bottom edge together using small whipstitches and matching thread.
- To make the face, place flesh-color fabric on top of batting layer. Glue face piece onto front of body.
- Roll 1-1/2x3-inch piece of batting, bringing long edges together. Glue in place around top curve of face for eyebrows.
- For beard, fold top edge of batting to back and glue in place. Glue top edge of beard to bottom of face piece. Glue remaining edges of beard in place, folding under the cut edges all around side and bottom.
- Bring long edges of fun fur together to make a roll. Glue edges together on the back of the fur. Glue fur around top edge of batting around face, bringing edges together at the back.
- With permanent marker, make small dots for eyes. Dab blush on each "cheek" with a small brush or cotton swab. Sew a 9 mm jingle bell to tip of hat. Glue leaves beside beard at neck edge. Glue a few 6 mm red jingle bells over the leaves for holly berries.
- Sew single loop of metallic thread through top seam of hat; bring ends of thread together and knot for hanging loop.