Vintage Spool Ornament
What You'll Need
- 1 1⁄4-inch-tall wooden spool
- 7⁄16 to 11⁄16-inch-diameter mother-of-pearl shank-style button (shank cannot be larger than hole in spool)
- Paper trimmer
- Sheet music
- Crafts glue
- 20-gauge crafts wire
- Wire cutters
- Hot-glue gun and glue sticks
- Plastic pearl beads: 7⁄16-inch-diameter and 1⁄4-inch-diameter
- Needle-nose pliers
- German glass glitter: clear
continue reading below
- Prep the spool: Remove any thread from the spool and the button; wipe clean.
- Cover the spool: Cut a strip from sheet music to fit around the center of the spool using a paper trimmer. Wrap strip around spool; trim excess. Secure ends of the strip using crafts glue.
- Add Ornament Hanger: Cut a 6-inch length of wire. Run wire through shank of button, leaving 1⁄2 inch on one side of shank. Bend both wire ends, leaving short end slightly angled to allow for a tight fit when wire is pulled through spool. Feed long end of wire through bottom of spool. Add hot glue to button shank, then push short wire into spool. Thread a large bead, then a small bead onto wire at top of spool. Holding beads firmly against spool and referring to the photo, bend wire at a 90-degree angle. Firmly wrap wire around a 1-1⁄8-inch-diameter object (such as neck of a glue bottle) to create a circular hanger. Curl wire end in a tiny circle using needle-nose pliers.
- Finish the Ornament: Run crafts glue along bottom edge of spool and sprinkle with glitter; let dry. Repeat on top edge.