Make a Felt Storybook Christmas Ornament
These adorable storybook Christmas ornaments are the perfect gift for all kids, from one to 92. Fun and easy-to-make, the plush Christmas crafts are the perfect way to say, "Merry Christmas to you!"
Storybook Christmas Ornaments
Materials (for one ornament)
- Papers: one 4-inch square of a vintage storybook illustration or retro illustration and one 2-inch square of storybook copy (see note, below)
- Paper-backed fusible web
- Glue stick
- Cotton fabric: two colorful prints coordinating with illustration
- 4-inch length of 1⁄2-inch-wide decorative cotton trim: white
- Two 1⁄2-inch-diameter buttons: colors coordinating with illustration
- 3-inch length of natural twine
- Polyester fiberfill
- Pinking shears
- Felt scraps: three colors coordinating with illustration
- Three small glass beads: clear
- Fabric glue
Note: For the 4-inch illustration square, check a variety of sources, such as vintage storybooks, holiday cards, and children's artwork, or search online to find vintage illustrations. For 2-inch square of storybook copy, use vintage storybook copy or type words on your computer using Century Gothic font in 14-point bold type.
- Prepare the Papers: Download and print patterns and cut out. Following the manufacturer's instructions, back the 4-inch illustration square and the 2-inch storybook copy square with fusible web. Trace house front pattern onto the 4-inch square and the door pattern onto the 2-inch square. Cut out shapes. Using a glue stick, lightly secure center of door to house front, leaving edges free of glue for sewing ease.
- Cut the Fabrics: Cut roof from one fabric print and a 4×71⁄2-inch rectangle for the ornament back from the remaining fabric print.
- Sew the Front: With right sides together and using a 1⁄4-inch seam allowance, sew base of roof triangle to top short edge of house front. Press seam open. Sew top edge of cotton trim to seam line, cutting away excess trim. Topstitch door to house front. Hand-sew a button to door as doorknob.
- Sew the Ornament: Center house front atop ornament back with wrong sides together. Fold twine in half for a hanging loop. Place twine ends between ornament front and back at roof peak. Sew around ornament about 1⁄8 inch from edge of house front, leaving an opening for stuffing. Re-stitch around ornament for reinforcement. Stuff ornament with fiberfill and sew opening closed. Re-stitch opening for reinforcement. Using pinking shears, trim around ornament back 1⁄4 inch beyond house front.
- Finish the Ornament: Sew remaining button to roof peak. Using pinking shears and the circle patterns, cut three circles from felt. Stack felt circles from largest to smallest; sew together with three clear beads in the center. Using fabric glue and referring to photo, adhere felt circles to the roof.