Decorate a garland or your family tree with these simply sewn lace-and-jewel ornaments, or give them as gifts. They vary in size and style depending on the type of lace you select.
1. With right sides together, fold the lace in half so the short straight ends match. Using a 1/4" seam allowance, machine- or hand-stitch across the short straight ends. Turn right side out.
2. By hand, gather the center straight edge of the lace tightly to form a five-pointed star or circle shape. Using matching sewing thread, stitch the gathers in place so the ornaments hold their shape.
3. For the star, cut a square of red felt that is at least 1" larger than the lace star. Cut a square of white felt the same size. Layer the red square on the white one, then center the lace star on the red felt. For the wreath, cut a green and white felt squares and layer in the same manner. Pin the lace shapes to the felt through all of the layers.
4. Using a narrow zigzag stitch, machine-sew just inside the outer edges of the lace on each ornament, leaving one side of a point open on the star and a 1" opening on the wreath.
5. Use the unsharpened pencil to push polyester fiberfill into the ornaments, between the felt layers. Stuff the star points firmly and lightly stuff the center of the wreath. Zigzag-stitch the openings closed. Trim away the excess felt just outside the zigzag-stitched edges, being careful not to cut the stitches.
6. Sew rhinestones to the lace as desired. Sew a button to the center of each ornament, stitching through all layers and pulling the thread tightly to create an indentation.
Designed by Linda Lindgren
Look for exciting projects like this one in Better Homes and Gardens Creative Home magazine.