What You'll Need (for three tree toppers):
- 8-1/4x32inch prestained wood veneer sheets (available at home improvement or woodworking stores)
- Hot-glue gun and glue sticks
- Self-adhesive embellishments
- Premade papier-mache cone or empty paper towel/toilet paper roll
- Yellow acrylic paint
- Wooden barbecue skewer
- wire (optional)
- Gold spray paint
continue reading below
For the Poinsettia Tree Topper:
- Download, print, and cut out our template, available below.
- Trace onto the veneer, and carefully cut out six petals of each size using sharp scissors, cutting slowly and steadily to avoid cracking the veneer.
- Adhere the petals in layers to form the poinsettia bloom using hot glue. Glue buttons between the layers to create a three-dimensional look; let dry.
- Add self-adhesive embellishments in the center, and adhere the poinsettia to your premade crafts cone or paper roll.
For the Starburst Tree Topper:
- Cut veneer sheets into strips of varying lengths and widths (ours range from 9 to 12 inches long).
- Lay the strips out in a starburst pattern, varying short and long strips.
- Hot-glue the strips together in the centers; let dry.
- Paint the tips of the strips yellow using two coats of yellow acrylic paint; let dry.
- Glue the starburst to a skewer to stick into the top branches of your tree, securing with wire as needed.
For the Bird Tree Topper:
- Download our template, available below, and trace the two bird pieces onto veneer sheets.
- Cut out the patterns carefully using sharp scissors.
- Spray-paint the wing and beak pieces gold; let dry.
- Hot-glue the wing to the body; let dry.
- Adhere desired embellishment for the bird's eye.
- Spray-paint the cone or paper roll gold and hot-glue the bird onto the cone/roll.
Editor's Tip: If your tree is viewable from all sides, make two birds in mirror image, and glue one to the front of the cone and another to the back.