Felt Pinecone Christmas Ornament
Add outdoor beauty to your Christmas tree with a snow-capped pinecone ornament made from felt.
0 did it
continue reading below
These instructions make one pinecone ornament.
- Print out the patterns (available, below).
- Using an iron on medium heat, press freezer paper, shiny side down, onto felt. On the paper side, trace patterns A-E onto the appropriate felt colors. For patterns A, C, and D, cut four of each scale (two of each color for each size); for pattern B, cut eight scales (four of each color); for pattern E, cut two scales (one of each color).
- Cut out scales and peel off freezer paper. Make a small hole in the center of scales A-D using the point of sharp scissors.
- From either color of felt, cut 10 small squares (1/4-inch to 1/2-inch square) to use as separators between pairs of scales. Make a small hole in the center of each square.
Make the Pinecone
- Slide scales in two-color pairs over a wooden skewer, with a square separator in between pairs, as follows: Two A scales, square, two B scales, square, two B scales, square, two C scales, square, two C scales, square, two B scales, square, two B scales, square, two A scales, square, two D scales, square, two D scales, square.
- Shift each pair of scales to position individual petals between petals of the prior pair. Cut excess skewer with scissors. Glue E half-scale pieces into a small flower. Glue flower to top of pinecone.
Form the Stem
- Cut a 1/4x2-1/2-inch strip from one felt color for the stem. Twist and glue strip around the thin wire; set aside.
- Using pinking shears, cut a 1-inch-diameter circle from the same color of felt used to cover stem. Make a small hole in the center of the circle. Insert stem through the hole; glue circle and stem to bottom of pinecone. If desired, tie on a string or ribbon to hang pinecone from a tree. The ornament also can be tucked into pine branches.