Felt-Covered Christmas Ornaments with Flair
Follow our basic steps for these felt-covered ornaments trimmed with combinations of ribbons, sequins, and fabrics.
0 did it
What You'll Need
- 9x12-inch felt pieces in assorted colors
- Scissors and pinking shears
- 3-inch- and 4-inch-diameter Styrofoam balls
- 1/2-inch straight pins
- Three 5-yard spools of holiday ribbon in 1/8-, 1/4-, and 1/2-inch widths
- 1/2-inch and 1-inch pearl, gold, and colored corsage pins
- 5/8-inch spoke sequins, in assorted colors, silver, gold
- 10-millimeter and 8-millimeter sequin cups: red, gold, silver, iridescent, turquoise, green
- 3-5 yards of assorted silver and gold trims
- Colored rickrack in 1/4- and 5/8-inch widths
continue reading below
- Download the free patterns, print, and cut out. Trace the oval pattern onto felt and cut out six pieces for each ball; set the star pattern aside.
- Place the pieces close together, pinning into place. Align top and bottom edges, and pull each piece downward tightly to ensure the felt surface is smooth. Adjust pieces to fit the ball (narrow spaces between pieces can be covered later with ribbons), repinning the piece edges to the ball as necessary.
- Cover seams and pins with ribbons cut to fit the ball's circumference. Place the widest ribbons first, and then top with narrower trims. Center a ribbon over a seam, and pin to the ball's top center. Pull the ribbon down around the bottom of the ball. Secure the ribbon at the bottom center with a pin, and wrap back around to the top of the ball; secure with a pin.
- Trace a star pattern onto felt and cut out. Place a felt star on top of the ornament, positioning the points between the ribbons. Secure the star to the ball with pearl-head pins placed around the star's outer edges and radiating from the center out to each tip.
- For the hanger, tie a length of ribbon into a loop and pin to one end of the ball.
- Use sequins, pins, and different trims to make a variety of ornaments.