Add deep hues and sparkle to your Christmas tree with these easy-to-make custom ornaments. You start with a purchased ball ornament, then use dimensional paint and minuscule beads to add shimmering metallic patterns. Use our stylized tree design or create your own.Materials and Tools
- Tree pattern (see below)
- Tiny glass marbles (gold and crystal)
- 2 paper cups
- 3-1/2-inch-diameter satin ball ornaments (red and blue)
- Small glass
- Large, wide shoebox lid
- Ribbon or cord (for hanging ornament)
1. Download and print out the tree pattern. Use this pattern as a reference while drawing on your ornament. For most crafters, there's no need to transfer the pattern to the ball.
2. Pour the tiny glass marbles into paper cups, keeping the colors separate. Working one ornament motif at a time, apply dimensional paint in an overall pattern of coils, snowflakes, or stars. Or decorate one with a single stylized tree. To keep the ornament from rolling away, rest it in the small glass.
3. Immediately hold the ornament over the shoebox lid and sprinkle with the tiny glass marbles. Hang the ornament and allow it to dry for at least six hours before adding the next motif. Return the marbles to the paper cup after each use. After the ornament is completely decorated and dry, trim with ribbon or cord for hanging.