Christmas Star Ornaments
These easy-to-make star ornaments are sure to light the way to a joyful holiday. Use them as embellishments on your Christmas gifts or for added sparkle on your tree.
Bright Felt Star Ornaments
These star ornaments will sparkle when you add light-catching rhinestones and glass buttons to the felt.
- Cut progressively smaller stars for the ornaments from dark blue, aqua, and white felt. (Our biggest star is 4x5/8-inches wide.) Cut progressively smaller flower and circle shapes from different colors of felt, referring to the photo as a guide.
- Embellish the largest flower with French knots. Stitch a rhinestone button to the smallest blue circle, then sew a small glass button to each point of the star ornament.
- When you're finished adding the embellishments, stack the felt shapes, working from largest to smallest, and adhere together with fabric glue.
- Thread a ribbon trhough the shank of one of the small glass buttons to hang the star ornament.
Chipboard Santa Star Ornaments
Scrapbookers and Christmas crafters will adore making these simple paper-and-chipboard star ornaments.
- Cut out old sheet music and glue to the glossy white side of a small chipboard star. Using an ink-blending tool, blend red ink onto the sheet-music-covered star, starting at the edges.
- Print a Santa face from a clip art website, cut out, and secure to the center of the star with two adhesive dots.
- Make the banner by cutting a 1/2x3-1/2-inch strip from ecru print scrapbooking paper. Cut an inverted V into each end of the strip, then accordion-fold the ends. Print a holiday phrase (we used "Merry Christmas") on ecru paper and cut to fit slightly smaller than the banner. Glue the strip to the banner; add the banner across Santa's beard.
- Cover a large chipboard star with double-sided adhesive tape; trim excess. adhere the small star to the center of the large star with two adhesive dots. Sprinkle ultrafine German glass glitter over the large star, shaking off excess.
- Punch a hole in the top and add a wire-hanging loop to display this sparkling star ornament on your tree.
Silvery Snowflake Star Ornaments
Already feathered with metallic sheen, silver chenille stems just need a little twist to become enchanting, easy-to-make snowflake star ornaments.
- Gather seven chenille stems. Coil one of the stems by pinching one end, then rolling it in toward the other for the center of the snowflake star ornament.
- Fold the other six chenille stems to form the desired shape you'd like your snowflake star ornament to make. Twist one end of each of the six together, then hot-glue the coiled stem to the center of the twisted stems.
- Seal the ends with hot glue to hold the shape in place; let dry. Hang the star ornament on your tree with a small length of metallic cord.
Foam Star Ornaments and Other Ideas
Make a standout three-dimensional star ornament from thin sheets of crafting foam with our simple pattern. Get the materials, instructions, and pattern needed for this star ornament project below.
More Handmade Ornament Ideas: