Beaded Snowflake Christmas Ornament
Start with a wire snowflake form, pick an assortment of beads to suit your fancy, and make a blizzard of these pretty Christmas snowflake ornaments.
Upload your photo here.
What You'll Need
- 6-inch-wide wire snowflake form (available from beadsmith.com)
- 6 seed beads, size 11
- 6 seed beads, size 6 or 8
- 6-millimeter or 8-millimeter Czech fire-polished round beads: 12 each of two colors
- 6 blown-glass oval beads
- Pliers: chain-nose, round-nose, and flat-nose
- Flush-cut wire cutters
- 16-gauge sterling-silver dead-soft wire
- 3/4-inch-diameter wooden dowel
- Terry cloth hand towel
- Steel bench block
- Plastic-head mallet
How to Make It
1. Thread one wire of the snowflake form with beads as follows: size 11 seed bead, size 6 (or size 8) seed bead, round bead (color 1), round bead (color 2), blown-glass bead, round bead (color 2), round bead (color 1).
2. Using the chain-nose pliers, bend the wire just above the last bead toward you at a 45-degree angle.
3. Using the wire cutters, trim the wire 3/8 inch from the bend. Use the round-nose pliers to bend exposed 3/8-inch length of wire into a loop. Close the loop tight using the flat-nose or chain-nose pliers.
4. Repeat the previous steps with the remaining five snowflake wires.
5. Using the wire cutters, cut a 3-3/4-inch piece of sterling-silver wire. Using the round-nose pliers, form a small loop at one end of the wire. Referring to Illustration 1, form the large curve of the hook using the dowel to assist with shaping.
6. Turn the hook with the straight end up. Using the chain-nose pliers, grab the wire at the base of the straight portion of the hook. Bend the straight wire over the edge of the pliers at a 90-degree angle so the wire (when turned hook-side up) resembles the number 2.
7. Trim the wire 3/8 inch from the bend. Referring to Illustration 2 and using round-nose pliers, create a loop at the end of the wire that will fit the ornament. Finish shaping hook as shown.
8. Fold the terry cloth hand towel into quarters. Set bench block on folded towel and place hook on the bench block. Use the mallet to pound and harden the hook.
9. With the chain-nose pliers in one hand and the flat-nose pliers in the other, open the bottom loop. Thread the open loop onto the loop of the beaded snowflake; close the loop.