Sew this elegant stocking for Santa to fill.
Upload your photo here.
What You Need:Add flavor to a time-honored tradition with these far-east stockings.
- Tracing paper
- 5/8 yard of Asian brocade fabric for stocking front and back
- 5/8 yard of Asian print fabric for stocking lining
- 6-1/2 x 9-inch rectangle of Chrimen fabric (reproduction kimono fabric) for the cuff
- 2 x 17-inch strip of black velvet
- 9-inch length of 1/2-inch-wide black/gold brocade trim
- 3/8 yard of 1/4-inch-wide black/gold braid
- Matching sewing thread
2. Enlarge the stocking pattern onto tracing paper, cut out the traced pattern. Sew all pieces with right sides together using 1/2-inch seam allowances, unless otherwise directed.
3. Use the stocking pattern to cut the stocking pieces, noting the direction of the grain line. Cut two from the brocade for the stocking front and back. Cut two from the print fabric for the lining.
4. For the cuff, fold the 6-1/2 x 9-inch Chrimen rectangle in half with wrong sides facing to measure 3-1/2 x 9-inches; press the folded edge. Unfold the cuff fabric and position the 1/2-inch-wide brocade trim on the cuff 1/4-inch away from the fold line. Sew the trim in place along both long edges. Sew the braid to the cuff next to the brocade trim on the side opposite the fold. Reserve the excess braid for the hanging loop. Refold the cuff; press.
5. With right sides facing, pin the cuff to the stocking front at the top and side edges; baste. Pin the stocking back and front together; sew, leaving the top edge open. Trim the seams, clip the curves, and turn right side out. Press the seams open at the top sides of the stocking.
6. Pin the lining front and back together. To create a slightly smaller lining, begin and end at the top edge with a 1/2-inch seam allowance, but increase the seam allowance to 5/8-inch for all remaining edges. Trim the seam allowances to 1/4-inch; clip curves. Press the seam allowances open at the top of the lining.
7. Slip the lining into the stocking with wrong sides together, matching the side seams and aligning the top raw edges. Machine-baste the stocking and lining together around the top edge.
8. For the binding, sew together the short edges of the 2 x 17-inch velvet strip; press the seam allowances open. Pin one edge of the binding to the top edge of the stocking with right sides together; sew. Trim the seam allowances to 1/4-inch. Fold the binding to the inside of the stocking and fold under 1/2-inch. Slip-stitch the folded edge of the binding in place, covering the machine stitches.
9. Fold the reserved braid in half and make a square knot at the ends. Tack the knot to the top corner on the heel side of the stocking.