Embroider a Curly Cue Sachet Ornament
Embroider this abstract design using bright-colored wool thread. Back it with fabric, stuff it with scented potpourri, and the pint-size square becomes an instant sachet ornament.
continue reading below
How to Make It
- Place tracing paper over the pattern at right and trace it using the iron-on transfer pen. Center the traced pattern, ink side down, on the linen square and transfer according to the manufacturer's instructions.
- Place the fabric in an embroidery hoop and embroider the design with split stitches and one strand of wool thread. Note: For embroidery-stitch instructions, see link above.
- To block the finished piece, use a damp pressing cloth and steam-press it on both sides.
- Frame the stitched piece or sew it into an ornament as follows:
- Trim the piece 1/2 inch beyond the embroidered design.
- Cut a matching shape from backing fabric. Fold a 9-inch length of ribbon in half and sew the ends to the top of the stitched piece.
- With right sides together, sew the ornament front to the backing with a 1/2-inch seam allowance, leaving an opening along the bottom for turning.
- Trim the seams, turn right side out, and stuff. Sew the opening closed.