With all the stress, expense, and expectation surrounding the holidays, it can be a challenge just to get through "the most wonderful time of the year" with our values and our wallets intact. Here's how to save money, protect the planet, and spread good cheer all at the same time.
- Chronicle your family history by assembling photographs, letters, and important documents.
- Frame a meaningful photograph or put together a photo album or book of family recipes.
- Host a potluck instead of having to cook the entire holiday feast alone.
- Give children a gift of music or sports lessons instead of another toy.
- Give the gift of time. Begin with a gift certificate that offers babysitting, a home-cooked meal, or a monthly lunch date with a relative or friend.
- Donate to a charity in the name of a loved one.
- Give fair trade items such as tea, coffee, or chocolate.
- Give homemade baked goods, potpourri, or a dried herb wreath.
- Create a special memory by going to a ball game, to a museum, or on a camping trip.
- Give away one of your favorite things.
Continued on page 2: 10 More Alternative Gift Ideas