What You Need
- Graphite paper
- Papier-mache boxes: 4 1/2 x 4 1/2x 2 1/2 inches square; 2 1/2 x 2 1/2 x 1 1/2 inches square; 3-inch-diameter circle, and 3-1/4-inch-tall star.
- FolkArt acrylic paints: Burnt Umber (BU), Huckleberry (HB), Licorice (LI), Terra Cotta (TC), Turner's Yellow (TY), and Warm White (WW)
- Brown watercolor pencil
- Spray sealant
- Black waterproof markers: extra-fine-tip and fine-tip (We used Sharpie Permanent Markers.)
- Snowflake punches: small and large (We used EK Success punches.)
- Decoupage medium
continue reading below
How to Make It
- Trace the patterns onto tracing paper. Use graphite paper to transfer the designs onto the top surfaces of the lids.
- Refer to the photograph to paint the lids. Use WW to paint the snowmen, ground, hat stripes, snowballs, and border on the top surface of the lids. Paint the scarves, hat stripes, earmuffs, cardinal, bucket, and sides of the lid HB. Use TY for the cat and the star. Paint the carrot noses and the stripes on the cat TC. With BU, paint the stick arms and the star's wand. Add WW highlights to the scarf on the largest lid. Let the paint dry.
- Use a brown watercolor pencil to add shading to the WW areas of the lids. Moisten a fine-tip brush with water and dab off the excess. Use the dampened brush to blend the watercolor pencil; let dry. Spray the lid with sealant.
- Use an extra-fine-tip marker to trace over the design lines, outlining the shapes and adding the details. Fill in the background area inside the WW border of the lid with a black fine-tip marker or paint with LI.
- Apply two coats of LI to all interior surfaces of the lid and all surfaces of the box base, letting dry between coats.
- Punch snowflakes from white paper. Use decoupage medium to adhere them to the outside surfaces of the box base. When you're pleased with the arrangement, apply a light coat of the medium to the sides of the box base, covering the snowflakes; let dry.
- Mix a few drops of BU with the decoupage medium in a disposable container. Apply two coats of this mixture to all exterior surfaces of the box base and lid, letting the mixture dry between applications.