What You Need
- Scallop-edge scissors or pinking shears
- Matching sewing threads
- Felt: One 4-x-7-3/4-inch rectangle of white and two 1-1/2-x-7-3/4-inch strips of red
- 6-inch length of red mini rickrack
- 3/4-inch-diameter red button
How to Make It
- Trim the long edges of each felt piece with pinking shears. Position the red strips on the white rectangle slightly in from the side edges.
- To form the handle, tuck 1/2 inch at each end of the rickrack under an inside edge of the red strips 2 inches from the top edge of the felt pieces. Sew the red strips in place close to the long edges, catching the rickrack ends in the stitching.
- Fold up 2 3/4 inches at the bottom of the felt to form a pocket with the red strips on the outside. Sew the side edges of the pocket atop the outer stitching line of each red strip. Fold down 2 inches at the top for the front flap; press lightly.
- To shape the front flap, trim from the center bottom to a point 3/4 inch below the top corners. Cut a vertical slit in the center section of the flap large enough to accommodate the button. Sew the button to the pocket under the slit.