How to Make a Bow: Get Started!
Use bows to embellish a package for little expense. Master these three simple bow-making techniques and your gifts will always stand out in a crowd. To make handmade bows you'll need:
- Ribbon in your color of choice
- Sharp scissors
- Double-stick tape (for layered bow)
- Ruler (for layered bow)
- Florist's wire (for rosette bow)
Read on for our videos and how-to techniques.
Love gifting? Check out our handmade gift ideas!
How to Make a Classic Bow: 4 StepsStep 1
1. Make two loops in the ribbon. Form the left loop first. Make sure the tails of the ribbon are in back and that the slack between the two loops points toward you.
Editor's Tip: Pick a two-sided satin ribbon for this bow. Avoid ribbons with wire edges, which are more difficult to manipulate.
Make a Layered Bow
2. Lay ribbon facedown. Adhere a piece of double-stick tape to the center of each ribbon. Fold ends to the center and press to adhere, forming two loops. Tape ends of center loop together. For the bottom layer, cut a piece of ribbon slightly longer than the longest looped piece, and notch the ends.
Make a Rosette Bow
How to Make a Rosette Bow: 4 StepsStep 1
1. Wrap the ribbon around your palm 8 to 10 times.
Editor's Tip: Pick a flimpsy ribbon. Ribbon with wired edges is very difficult to cut in Step 2. Also, if you'd like a larger bow, use a scrap of cardboard that's wider than your palm as your wrapping surface.