Create a country garland with a red-and-white checked ribbon.
What You Need:
- Fresh white pine branches or desired greenery
- Wide wire-edged satin ribbon
- Sisal cording
- Florist's wire
- Wire cutters, pruning shears, and scissors
- Chenille strips to match the stair rail (optional)
General Garland Instructions:
1. Small clusters of material are wired together at the stems. Place the head of the second cluster over the stems of the first cluster and wire all the stems together.
2. Repeat, adding more clusters until the garland is complete. The head of each cluster should cover the stems of the previous cluster.
1. Cut a length of cord the desired length of the garland.
2. Clip the pine into evenly sized branches. Attach a length of wire to the cord to begin. Select a branch of pine and wire it to the end of the rope. Place a second branch over the stem of the first and wrap the wire tightly around both to secure. Continue as described in the general instructions until rope is covered.
3. Place the garland over the stair rail or where desired. To prevent scratching a finished surface, use long chenille strips to hold the garland in place. Loosely loop the ribbon around garland.