- 1 25-inch square of two coordinating fleece fabrics
- Tracing paper
- Straight pins
- Scraps of contrasting fleece fabrics
- Needle and embroidery floss
- 18-inch square pillow form
1. Download the free patterns for this project (Downloading requires Adobe Acrobat software).
2. Layer the two 25-inch squares of fleece. Use the scissors to cut a 4-inch square out of each corner of the fleece, cutting through both layers at the same time. This will create a rectangular flap along each edge of the fleece pieces.
3. To make the fringe, keep the fleece layered as you cut through both pieces at the same time. Place the yardstick along the inner edge of each rectangular flap as a guide. Make sixteen 4-inch-long cuts 1-inch apart on each side. Cut from the outer edge of each flap up to the yardstick. Fringe all four sides the same way.
4. Use a pencil to trace the heart or the tree and star patterns onto tracing paper. Cut them out.
5. Pin the patterns to the scraps of contrasting fleece, and cut them out.
6. Pin the heart or the tree and star shapes to the pillow front. Thread the needle with embroidery floss. Make long straight stitches around the edges to sew the shapes to the pillow front
7. Place the pillow form between the fleece pieces with the appliquéd front on the outside. Line up the sides and the corners of the fleece pieces. Tie the pillow front to the pillow back at the corners first; then tie the fringe together along all four sides.