Two Christmas Stockings: Beaded Brocade and Striped Ultrasuede & Silk
Sew two elegant Christmas stockings--one in brocade and one in Ultrasuede and silk--from one basic pattern.
What You Need:
Beaded Brocade Stocking:
● 2/3 yard of ivory-and-cream velveteen brocade fabric
● 2/3 yard of lining fabric
● 1-1/3 yards of red piping cord with header
● Assorted red beads
● Needle and red sewing thread
● 3/8 yard each of gold, red, and copper Ultrasuede
● 1/4 yard of ivory Ultrasuede
● 2/3 yard of tan silk
● 1/8 yard of copper silk
● Piping cord
How to Make the Basic Stocking:
Note: Both of the stockings use the same basic pattern. One was modified by elongating the top of the stocking and narrowing the outside curve above the heel.
- Enlarge the stocking pattern using a photocopier. Modify the pattern if desired. Cut out the pattern pieces.
- Use the pattern to cut a stocking front and back from the fabric you want, reversing one of the shapes.
- Cut a matching lining front and back from the fabric you want, reversing one of the shapes.
- Cut a 1-1/2x6-inch-long strip from one of the fabrics for the hanging loop. Follow each stocking's specific instructions, beginning below, for embellishing.
- With right sides facing, stitch the stocking front to the back, leaving the top edge open.
- Clip the curves and then turn the stocking right side out.
- Stitch the lining pieces together with the right sides facing, leaving the top edge and a spot along the curved stocking edge open for turning the pieces right side out.
- For the hanging loop, press under 1/2 inch of each long edge of the 6-inch-long strip.
- Fold the strip in half lengthwise, aligning the pressed edges; press again.
- Sew the pressed edges together opposite the fold. Fold the strip in half, forming the loop.
- Aligning raw ends, sew the loop to the top outside corner on the heel side of the stocking.
- Place the stocking inside the lining with the right sides facing.
- Stitch the stocking and the lining together around the top edge.
- Turn the stocking to the right side through the opening and slip-stitch the opening along the curved stocking edge closed.
- Topstitch the upper edge to finish.
How to Make the Beaded Brocade Stocking:
Note: The brocade stocking is 18 inches long.
- Before sewing the stocking front and back together, sandwich red piping cord between the stocking layers, aligning the header edge with the outside edges of the stocking pieces.
- Sew the pieces together through all the layers, leaving the top edge open. Clip the curves and turn the stocking right side out.
- Continue sewing the stocking together following the instructions in How to Make the Basic Stocking.
- Hand-sew red beads to the brown velveteen flowers on the front of the stocking.
How to Make the Striped Stocking:
Note: The striped stocking is 30 inches long.
- Before assembling the stocking, cut the pieces for the stocking front as follows: From gold, red, and copper Ultrasuede, cut: two 5x15-inch strips. From ivory Ultrasuede, cut: one 5x15-inch strip.
- Referring to the photo for color placement, piece the strips together along the long edges.
- Topstitch 1/8 inch on each side of each seam.
- Referring to the How to Make the Basic Stocking instructions, cut the stocking front from the pieced Ultrasuede and the stocking back from tan silk.
- Cut and piece two 2-1/2x54-inch bias strips from tan silk. Fold the strip in half lengthwise with wrong sides together; press.
- Using a gathering foot on your sewing machine, topstitch 1/4 inch from the raw edge to gather the strip.
- Cut and piece two 1-1/2x54-inch bias strips from copper silk. Wrap the silk strip around the piping cord; pin.
- Using a zipper or piping foot on your sewing machine, sew close to the cord edge to encase the piping cord.
- Sew the stocking front and back together, sandwiching the gathered silk strip and the covered piping between the layers and aligning all edges.
- Finish the stocking according to the Basic Stocking instructions.