What You Need:
- One square of green felt, or scrap of wool felt already washed and dried
- Scrap of brown felt
- Embroidery floss to match tree color and brown floss
- Gold metallic embroidery floss
- One 12 mm gold star bead
- Gold thread; scissors
- 6-inch length of gold cording
continue reading below
How to Make It:
- Copy the patterns. Cut one of each of the three shapes from green felt. Work small stars using straight stitches and gold metallic floss. Cut one small piece from brown felt for trunk. Lay brown trunk piece on top of tree back and blanket-stitch together using matching brown floss. Lay outside tree pocket piece over the bottom of the tree back piece with the brown trunk.
- Fold down the top of the outside tree piece and pin in place. Place tree top piece at the top of the tree back piece and pin in place.
- Using matching tree-color floss, sew layers together, starting at the top point of the tree, continuing to buttonhole-stitch around the side edge, sewing through both layers of felt. At the side edge where the wavy curves start, continue the buttonhole stitch around ONLY the top layer of felt until reaching the opposite side edge, then sew through both layers of felt to reach the top point of the tree. Continue sewing through both layers at the side edges, through only the top layer of felt at the wavy front edges, until all edges of the tree are embellished with the buttonhole stitch. A pocket will be formed underneath the tree top piece.
- Sew the star bead to the tree top using gold thread. Sew gold cording through all layers at the top to hang.