Three Painted Gift-Card Holders for Christmas
Make a Christmas gift card extra special by packaging it in an embellished gift-card holder with hand-painted designs.
What You Need:
- Watercolor paper
- Metal ruler
- Crafts knife
- Thick crafts glue
- DecoArt Americana acrylic paints: Lamp Black DA067 (LBK), Sea Breeze DA256 (SB), Jack O' Lantern Orange DA229 (JO), Olive Green DA056 (OG), Purple Cow DA272 (PC), Hauser Medium Green DA132 (HMG),Deep Burgundy DA128(DB), Yellow Ochre DA08 (YO), Payne's Grey DA167 (PG), Antique Rose DA156 (AR), and Country Red DA018 (CR)
- Black permanent marker
- Graphite paper
- Hole punch
- Crafts wire
- 2 eyelets and eyelet setter
- Red cording
How to Make It:
- Prepare the Paper: Referring to the patterns, use a pencil and metal ruler to draw pockets A, B, and C and Ribbon B onto watercolor paper. Cut out the shapes with a crafts knife. Use the ruler to aid in folding at the dashed lines, creasing well. Assemble the pockets and adhere them with glue.
- Paint the Shapes: Pocket A (with a painted package): Use very thin YO to paint the background. Paint the ribbon with thin CR and shade with DB. Fill in the package dots with thin OG. Paint alternating checks with LBK. Use the marker to make double outlines around all design elements. Pocket B (package): Paint all ribbon with thin CR and shade with DB. Add the dots with DB. Use the liner brush and thin HMG to paint the plaid pattern. Use the marker to make double lines around all ribbon. Pocket C (with snowman): For the front, use very thin HMG to paint the green patch and add CR dots. Paint alternating stripes with CR on the striped patch. Paint alternating checks with CR on the checkerboard patch. Paint the plaid pattern with HMG on the green plaid patch. On the snowman patch, use very thin SB to paint the background. Trace the snowman pattern onto tracing paper. Transfer the snowman pattern to the patch using graphite paper. Shade the snowman's face with very thin PG. Paint the nose with JO, the eyes with LBK, and the cheeks with very thin AR. Paint the hat with LBK and the hatband with PC. Paint the holly leaf with HMG and the berry with CR. Use the marker to outline the patches with running stitches and to outline the snowman. For the back, use very thin HMG to paint the dots. Use the marker to make straight and zigzag lines.
- Add the Trims: For Pocket A, punch a hole on each side of the envelope. Thread with wire, twisting the ends to secure. For Pocket B, insert folded Ribbon B into pocket. For Pocket C, attach eyelets and thread with cording for a hanging loop.