Sparkly Snowflake Table Runner for Christmas
Beautiful metallic snowflakes in five unique patterns waltz down this pretty table runner, perfect for a Christmas table.
What You'll Need
- Tracing paper or copy machine
- 5/8 yard ivory cotton fabric
- 1/4 yard gold mesh fabric
- 1/4 yard silver lame fabric
- Marking pen
- Sewing machine and matching sewing thread
- Metallic sewing machine needle
- Gold metallic sewing thread
- Silver metallic sewing thread
- Stabilizer or thin paper
- Iron and press cloth
- Scrap of gold lame fabric
- Thin cotton batting (about 12x44 inches)
- 3-mm and 4-mm iridescent jewels
- Jewel glue (specifically for attaching embellishments)
continue reading below
How to Make It
- Download the free snowflake patterns; enlarge 200%, print, and set aside.
- Cut five 8x8-inch blocks (to be trimmed to 6-1/2x6-1/2 inches) from ivory cotton fabric. Cut six 2-1/2x6-1/2-inch pieces from both the ivory cotton fabric and the gold mesh fabric. Cut two 2-1/2x38-1/2-inch strips from both ivory and gold mesh fabric. Cut four 2-1/2-inch squares from gold lame fabric. Cut two 3/4x38-1/2-inch strips and two 3/4x7 inch strips from silver lame fabric. Cut one 11-1/2x44-inch piece from ivory fabric for the backing. Cut three 2-1/2-inch-wide strips from silver lame fabric for the binding.
- With marking pen, mark snowflake designs onto center of 8-inch squares of ivory fabric. Stitch snowflake designs with gold and silver metallic threads, using decorative, small zigzag, and straight stitches to sew around the lines of design.
Note: It is helpful to use a metallic sewing machine needle and stabilizer or thin paper on the back of the design.
- Trim blocks to 6-1/2-inch squares.
- Lay gold mesh fabric on top of ivory fabric strips; baste around outside edges.
- Using 1/4-inch seams for all stitching, sew the five snowflake blocks together with four strips of 2-1/2x6-1/2-inch ivory and gold mesh sashings.
- Fold wrong sides together of the 3/4-inch-wide strips of silver lame fabric. Press carefully (use a press cloth to eliminate melting of metallic fabrics).
- Baste narrow silver strips to long sides of center blocks and sashing strips. Sew narrow silver strips to short ends, folding under raw edges at ends.
- Stitch gold lame squares to ends of two remaining 2-1/2x6-1/2-inch ivory and gold mesh strips.
- Stitch long borders to top and bottom of blocks. Stitch side borders with gold squares to ends.
- Layer top, batting, and backing, and quilt as desired. Sew silver binding to outside edges. Use jewel glue to attach different-size jewels to the snowflake blocks at dots indicated on pattern.