What You Need:
- Preshrunk wool felt: 8x16-, 6x16-, and 4x16-inch rectangles of red; two 9x12-inch rectangles of antique white; 9x12-inch rectangle of light blue; 9x12-inch rectangle of dark blue; and scraps of orange, brown, and gold.
- 1/2 yard of regular-weight fusible web
- Ecru quilting thread
- Embroidery floss: brown, blue, gold, orange, and black
- Black acrylic paint
- 10-, 8-, and 6-inch-tall glass canisters
How to Make It:
- Felt shrinks and colors bleed, so buy extra and never shrink different-color pieces together. While results may vary, as much as 4 inches may be lost in shrinkage.
- To shrink felt, get it thoroughly wet. Place the wet felt in a washing machine and spin out excess water. Tumble-dry on medium-high heat. Iron gently only if necessary.
- Rinse out the washing machine with bleach and water and wipe dryer to remove any dyes that may remain on surfaces.
- Download the patterns. Position the fusible web, paper side up, over the patterns. Use a pencil to trace the patterns the number of times indicated.
- Cut out the shapes slightly outside the traced lines. Lay out all fusible-web shapes, fabric side down, on the felt. Use an iron to fuse the shapes to the felt. Cut out the felt shapes.
- Mark the center front of each red felt rectangle. Using the photo as a guide, arrange the white snowmen and snowball pieces on the red rectangles. When you're satisfied with the arrangement, remove the paper backing and follow the manufacturer's directions to fuse the felt pieces in place.
- For the striped scarves, remove the paper backing from the stripes and pin them to the corresponding scarf piece. Trim away the excess fabric along the dotted lines. Fuse the stripes to the scarves, then fuse the scarves to the snowmen.
- Use ecru quilting thread to whipstitch around the outside edges of the faces and all snowballs, then whipstitch along the sides of the bodies, leaving the bottoms open.
- Using a single strand of embroidery floss and whipstitches, attach the arms with brown, the scarves with blue, the stars with gold, and the noses with orange.
- Using two strands of black floss, outline the mouths with running stitches. Use black paint to make dots for the eyes.
- For each canister, pin the appliqued front to the corresponding back with wrong sides together. Using three strands of gold floss, blanket-stitch along the top and bottom edges.
- Wrap a cover around a canister with the wrong side facing out. Pin the short sides together for a snug fit. Slide the cover from the canister and machine-sew on the pinned line. Trim the seam. Turn right side out and place on the canister. Repeat with the remaining covers and canisters.