Ribbon Christmas Advent Calendar with Bible Verses
Celebrate Advent with a beautiful ribbon calendar that features inspirational Bible verses that reflect the meaning of the Christmas season.
What You'll Need
- 21-inch length of 1/2-inch-diameter dowel
- Two 3/8-inch screw eyes
- White spray paint
- 3 yards of 3-inch-wide white satin ribbon
- 4 yards each of five pastel colors of 3/8-inch-wide satin ribbon
- 4 yards of 3-inch-wide white wire-edge sheer ribbon
- Hot-glue gun and hotmelt adhesive
- White cardstock
- Number stickers or permanent markers
- Crafts knife
- 1 sheet each of patterned paper to match the five pastel ribbons
- Black fine-tip permanent marker
- Crafts glue
- Small gifts for each pocket
How to Make It
1. Screw the screw eyes into each dowel end. Spray-paint the dowel and screw eyes with two or more coats of white paint.
2. For the package pockets, cut the 3-inch-wide white satin ribbon into 25 3x4-inch rectangles. Press under 1/2 inch on the cut edges of each satin rectangle. These will become the pockets when sewn to the sheer ribbon. Edgestitch one folded edge from the pocket top.
3. For the package trims, cut five of the following from each of the five colors of 3/8-inch-wide satin ribbon (you will end up with 25 sets of three ribbon pieces): 3-1/2-inch length, 5-inch length, and 8-1/2-inch length. Press under 1/4 inch on all ribbon ends. For each satin ribbon pocket, center and sew an 8-1/2-inch length of ribbon along the bottom edge.
4. Cut five 26-inch lengths of sheer ribbon. Pin five same-color pockets on each ribbon, spacing them 2-1/4 inches up from the bottom and leaving 1-1/2 inches between the packages. Center a 3-1/2-inch coordinating color ribbon horizontally across each package; pin in place. Sew one end of each 5-inch ribbon to the sheer ribbon (perpendicular to the 3-1/2-inch ribbon on each package) so the center and the sewn edge fall just below the package top. See photograph for ribbon placement.
5. Sew the packages to the ribbon along the side and bottom edges. See photograph for sewing details. Arrange the sheer ribbons on the dowel, leaving about 1-1/2 inches between the rows. Hot-glue the top edge of the ribbons to the back of the dowel. Trim the free ends in an inverted V shape.
6. To make the inspirational cards, cut 25 1-1/2x3-inch rectangles from white cardstock. Fold the rectangles in half crosswise. Number the cardstock pieces one through 25 using number stickers or permanent markers. On the card backs, using a crafts knife, cut two stacked 1/2-inch-long horizontal slits in the center of the card. Space the second cut 1/4 inch above the first slit.
7. Cut each of the pastel papers into five 1-1/4x2-3/4-inch rectangles. Fold the rectangles in half. Write a verse on the inside. (Try our suggested verses below or use your own favorites.) To attach a card to the package, weave the 8-1/2-inch ribbon through the slits. Slide the card down the ribbon. See card photo for details.
8. Glue the pastel card to the numbered card on the inside, being careful not to glue over the slits.
9. Place a small gift in each pocket. Tie the top and bottom ribbons in a bow to keep the cards securely placed.
Week 1: Hope and Anticipation: Suggested Bible verses: Psalms 37:9; Psalms 40:1; Psalms 62:5; Isaiah 40:31; Isaiah 52:7-10; Jeremiah 29:11-13; Matthew 1:1-11; Romans 8:18-27; Romans 12:9-21; Romans 15:4; 1 Corinthians 13:13; 1 Thessalonians 1:2-10; 1 Timothy 4:10; Hebrews 10:19-25; Hebrews 11:1
Week 2: Love and Kindness: Suggested Bible verses: John 13:34-35; Romans 13:8-14; 1 Corinthians 1; Ephesians 3:14-21; 1 John 3:1-3; 1 John 3:6-20; 1 John 4:7-12
Week 3: Joy and Celebration: Suggested Bible verses: Psalms 51:10-12; Psalms 71:19-24; Matthew 2:9-11; Matthew 13:44-46; Luke 1:39-45; Luke 2:8-12; Philippians 4:4; Philemon 4-7; 1 Peter 1:8-9
Week 4: Peace and Harmony: Suggested Bible verses: Isaiah 9:6-7; Isaiah 26:3; Isaiah 53:1-6; Matthew 14:22-33; John 14:23-27; Ephesians 6:10-20; Philippians 4:6-7