Embellished Christmas Stockings in Red and Green
Add a festive flair to these traditional red and green Christmas stockings by embellishing them with feather trim.
What You Need:
For one stocking:
continue reading below
- Graph paper (optional)
- 5/8 yard of red quilted fabric
- 5/8 yard of red lining fabric
- 1/8 yard of solid green fabric
- 1/4 yard each of green and red check fabrics
- Scrap of dark green velvet
- Matching sewing thread
- 1/2 yard of ball trim
- 1/2 yard of 3-inch-wide feather trim
- Three 1 1/2-inch tassels
- Three 1 1/2-inch tassels
How to Make It:
- Enlarge the stocking patterns (see "Red & Green Stocking" and "Red & Green Stocking Cuff") using a photocopier; mark 1/2-inch seam allowances and cut the patterns out.
- Cut a red stocking front and back and a red lining front and back. Cut two cuffs from solid green fabric for the cuff and cuff lining. Make a triangle pattern that measures 6 1/2 inches long and 4 inches at the wide end. Cut two triangles from the red check and four from the green check. Make a pattern for the heel, and cut one from the dark green velvet scrap.
- Press under 1/2 inch on the inner edge of the heel. Position the heel wrong side down on the right side of the stocking front, aligning the outer edges; pin in place. Machine-sew the outer edge, and hand-sew the pressed edge.
- Sew the stocking front to the back, leaving the top edge open. Trim the seams; clip the curves. Turn the stocking right side out.
- Sew the stocking lining pieces together, leaving the top edge open. Trim the seams and clip the curves; do not turn. Slip the lining inside the stocking with wrong sides facing, aligning the top edges. Baste the top edges together.
- Cut a 1 1/2 x 6-inch strip of solid green fabric for the hanging loop. Press under 1/4 inch on each long edge of the strip. Fold the strip in half lengthwise, aligning the pressed edges; press again. Sew the pressed edges together opposite the fold. Fold the strip in half to form the loop. Aligning the raw edges, sew the loop to the top of the stocking.
- Sew the same color points of the triangles together in pairs, leaving the top edges open. Trim the seams and corners. Turn the points right side out; press. Center the red point on the bottom long edge of the cuff lining with the raw edges even. Position the green points along the same edge of the cuff lining, overlapping the top side edges of the red point by 1 1/4 inches. Baste to the cuff lining. Stitch tassels to the triangle points.
- Sew the cuff to the cuff lining at the bottom long edge, catching the points in the stitching. Turn the cuff right side out and press, directing the points away from the cuff. Baste the top edge of the cuff and lining together. Pin and sew the ball trim on the right side of the cuff. Position feather trim along the top edge; sew in place. Fold the cuff in half with right sides together; stitch short edges.
- Slip the cuff inside the stocking with the right side of the cuff facing the stocking lining; sew the cuff to the stocking. Fold the cuff down over the right side of the stocking.