Use your sewing skills to create these holiday-themed pillows and you'll enjoy them each year. Or make some for gifts.
On both projects the measurements include 1/4-inch seam allowances. Do all sewing with the right sides facing together.Supplies
- 2 or 3 wool plaid fabrics for each pillow
- Machine-embroidery thread to match fabric
- Letterman letters
- Embroidery floss to match the letters
- 14-inch and 16-inch square pillow forms
- For the JOY pillow top, cut one 10-1/2-inch plaid center square. Cut four 2-1/2-x-12-1/2-inch border strips from another plaid. For the back, cut two 9-1/4-x-14-1/2-inch rectangles from any desired plaid.
- Referring to the diagram, stitch one border strip to the top of the center square, allowing excess to extend from the right side.
- Working counterclockwise, add a strip to the left side, a strip to the bottom, and a strip to the right side. Finish sewing the first strip to the last. Press all seam allowances away from the center.
- For the NOEL pillow top, cut a 12-inch plaid center square. Cut two 8-7/8-inch squares from a second plaid; cut the 8-7/8-inch squares in half on the diagonal, creating four right-angle triangles. For the back, cut two 10-1/4-x-16-1/2-inch rectangles.
- Referring to the diagram, stitch the long side of each triangle to the sides of the square. Press the seam allowances toward the outer edges.
- For each pillow, use red thread and buttonhole stitches to machine-sew around the center square along the seam line. Whipstitch the letters in place with green floss.
- Hem one long edge of each back piece. Pin the backs to the front with the hemmed edges overlapping in the center; stitch the backs to the front on all four sides.
- Clip corners, turn right side out, and press.
- Using red thread and buttonhole stitches, machine-sew around the outer edges of the pillow; press. Insert pillow form.