Christmas Tree Peppermint Swirl Ornament
Use papier-mache to make these classic Christmas treats as decorative ornaments for the tree.
What You Need:
- Papier-mache disc
- Acrylic crafts paints: red and white
- Tracing paper
- Graphite transfer paper
- Artist's brushes: 1/2-inch-wide flat and small round
- Krylon Crystal Clear glaze
- Silver glitter glue
- Cupcake cups
- Glue gun and hotmelt adhesive
- 1/4-inch-wide red-and-white-check grosgrain ribbon
continue reading below
How to Make It:
- Paint the papier-mache disc white; let dry. Trace the peppermint-swirl pattern onto tracing paper. Using graphite paper, transfer the peppermint-swirl pattern to the disc. Paint alternating swirl sections red; let dry. Apply two or three coats of glaze, letting it dry between coats.
- Apply silver glitter glue to the edges of two cupcake cups; let dry. Fold each cup in half, and then accordion-fold to create the candy-wrapper ends. Hot-glue a wrapper end to each side of the ornament back. For a hanger, cut an 8-inch length of ribbon, make a loop, and knot the ends. Hot-glue the knotted end of the ribbon to the back of the ornament.