Old World Santa Applique Pillow
Santa gets an Old-World makeover with this pillow cloaked in fancy trims and fabrics in shades of frosty blue and snowy white.
What You'll Need
- White and ivory felt
- Natural muslin
- Pink and ivory wool fabric
- White satin (robe)
- Light tan satin brocade (cloak)
- Small fancy white trim (cape)
- 3/4-inch wide silver lace
- White artificial fur
- Quilter's thread: red (mouth) and black (eyes)
- Embroidery needle
- Sewing machine (or needle) and color coordinating thread
- Fabric glue
- 1/4-inch pearl or button (hat)
- Twenty 1/4-inch silver beads (tree trim)
- 18x20-inch piece of blue wool (front)
- Narrow flat white braid (staff)
- 1/2-inch ivory bead and oval bead (staff top)
- Powder rouge or blush for the cheeks
- 18x20-inch piece of blue cotton (back)
- Polyester fiberfill
continue reading below
How to Make It
Note: All applique is done first on muslin, then transferred to the pillow top fabric.
- Download and print the free pattern, cut out all the pieces, and transfer to the muslin. Trace the pieces on the appropriate fabrics and trims as designated on the pattern, and cut out.
- Embroider the face pieces. Baste the coat, dress, hand, and face pieces onto the muslin. Cut out and baste to the center of the pillow.
- Starting from the bottom and working up, overlay and baste the remaining pieces in place. (See photos for placement.) Hand-stitch or use a sewing machine to zigzag-stitch them in place. Do not sew the outer edges to the blue wool until the design is complete.
- Embroider the mouth on the beard and glue the beard to Santa' face.
- Glue all remaining laces and beads in place, except for the staff. Sew on the beads and pearl (or button) for the hat.
- 7. Hand-sew or zigzag-stitch the outer edges of the applique to the pillow front. If necessary, use glue in difficult spots.
- Remove all basting and apply rouge to the cheeks. Glue the braid staff in place and sew the beads over the staff end.
- Using 1/2-inch seams, with right sides facing, sew the front wool piece to the back. Leave an opening for turning and stuffing.
- Stuff the pillow tightly and hand-sew the opening closed.