Modern Christmas Tree Skirt for the Holidays
Use felted wool in trendy colors to make this modern Christmas tree skirt.
Share your take on this idea!
Upload your photo here.
Upload your photo here.
What You Need:
- 54-inch-wide felted wool fabric: 1-1/2 yards cream, 1 yard grass green, 1/4 yard each of dark green and chartreuse, and 1/8 yard each of red, pink, and bright pink (We used fat quarters of Weeks Dye Works' hand-dyed felted wool: Snow Cream, Meadow, Juniper, Chartreuse, Candy Apple, Peony, and Bubble Gum.)
- Disappearing fabric-marking pen or pencil
- 1 yard of string
- Three 3/4x1-1/4-inch pieces of hook-and-loop fastener
- Matching sewing threads
- Silver tinsel, nonwired
- Fabric adhesive
continue reading below
How to Make It:
- Cut a 50-inch square from cream felted wool fabric, or sew together fat quarters using a 1/4-inch seam allowance to achieve a 50-inch square, pressing the seams open.
- Fold the fabric into quarters with wrong sides facing out. Tie one end of the string to the marking pen or pencil. Pin the remaining end of the string to the folded corner of the fabric opposite the cut edges, keeping 25 inches of string between the fabric corner and the pen.
- Draw a partial circle on the fabric with the marking pen by making an arc with the string fully extended, as if drawing with a compass. For the tree-trunk opening, shorten the length of string between the fabric corner and pen to 3 inches; draw a second arc on the fabric.
- Cut through all fabric layers on the marked lines. For the center back opening, cut through one fold from the outer edge to the tree-trunk opening.
- For the border, cut enough 1-inch-wide bias strips from the grass green fabric for the inner and outer borders. Sew the short ends of the strips together with diagonal seams to make one long strip; press the seam allowances open.
- Align the border with the outer edge on the right side of the skirt; topstitch close to both long edges. Trim any excess strip fabric.
- Sew the border strip to the tree-trunk opening edge in the same way. Cut two 1x25-inch strips from the cream fabric for the center back edges. Align a strip with each center back edge on the wrong side of the tree skirt. Sew close to each long edge and trim the excess strip.
- To close the skirt, sew hook-and-loop fasteners at the top, bottom, and in the center of the back edges. Cut the following circles from felted wool: five 7-inch dark green, five 6-inch grass green, five 5-inch chartreuse, six 4-inch red, six 3-1/2-inch pink, and seven 3-1/2-inch bright pink.
- Referring to the diagram, arrange the circles on the tree skirt, layering the greens from largest to smallest and the pinks on the reds.
- Sew the circles to the skirt, zigzag-stitching over the edges of each circle. Glue tinsel over the edge of each bright pink circle.