Make Framed Snowman Ornaments
These festive snowman faces made from polymer clay look great on the tree or in small picture frames as fun holiday artwork.
- Polymer clay: white, pearl, black, green, red, orange, and desired color for hatband
- Snowman Face Patterns, available below
- Tracing paper
- Rolling pin
- Crafts knife
- Soft-bristle artist's brush
- Cosmetic blush
- Glass baking dish
- White paint pen
- Trace our snowman face patterns, available below, onto tracing paper and cut out.
- Mix equal amounts of white clay and pearl clay; blend completely. Using a rolling pin, roll clay to 1/8 inch thick. Cut out a snowman head from the clay using the tracing paper pattern and a crafts knife.
- Roll black clay to 1/8 inch thick and cut out hat from clay. Place hat on head, referring to the dashed line on head pattern for overlap. Press the two pieces gently together.
- Roll desired color of clay for hatband until very thin. Cut hatband from clay to fit hat. Place the band above the hat brim and draw lines on the hatband with the stylus.
- Roll green clay until very thin. Cut out two holly leaves and place them on the hatband, referring to the above photo for placement. Roll three tiny balls of red clay and place between the holly leaves. Draw veins on the leaves and add a dot to each berry with the stylus.
- Using a soft-bristle paintbrush, brush blush onto cheeks.
- Roll two small balls or egg shapes of black clay and place on snowman face for eyes. Press eyes completely into face; draw on a smile and eyebrows with the stylus.
- Roll orange clay to 1/8 inch thick. Cut out a triangle (following the shape indicated by the face patterns) for the nose. Place the nose on the face and press the pieces gently together. Draw details on the nose using the stylus.
- Attach a U-shape wire to top edge of hat for a hanger.
- Place snowman head in a glass baking dish and bake following manufacturer's instructions; let cool. Dot the eyes with a white paint pen.