Make Felt Christmas-Theme Ornaments
These versatile (and easy-to-make!) felt ornaments in classic Christmas shapes look great on your tree and hand packaged Christmas gifts.
- Trace our patterns, available below, onto white paper; cut out. Trace two bells, two wreaths, and two trees onto a 9x12-inch piece of ivory felt; cut approximately 1/2-inch outside of traced lines. Trace four leaves onto green felt; cut out on traced lines.
- Tape ornament patterns to a light box; tape one ivory felt piece over each pattern and trace dots and lines onto the piece for ornament front.
- Pin together each set of ivory ornament pieces with wrong sides together and cut along the edges using pinking shears. Use scissors to cut the inner circle from the wreath. Remove traced outlines with a damp paper towel; unpin the pieces.
- Stitch a French knot with four strands of red embroidery floss at each dot on the ornament front pieces. Straight-stitch the star on the bell ornament front piece with four strands of red floss.
- Pin each embroidered ornament front to its matching back with wrong sides together. Whipstitch around inner circle of wreath using four strands of ivory floss.
- Use running stitches and four strands of red or ivory floss to sew together each ornament just inside pinked edges, leaving a 1-1/2-inch opening along one edge.
- Stuff each ornament with polyester fiberfill; stitch opening closed.
- Stitch together leaf pieces in pairs, using a running stitch and light green floss. Stitch leaves to top of wreath ornament.
- Using six strands of red floss, stitch through the top of each ornament; trim floss to desired length for hanging loop. Tie floss ends in a knot. Stitch a jingle bell to bottom of bell ornament using ivory floss.