Make a Pretty Christmas Stocking from a Sweater
Make a fast, pretty Christmas stocking from an old cotton sweater.
What You Need:
- Tracing paper
- Cotton sweater
- Sewing needle (optional)
- Matching thread
- Felt to coordinate with sweater
- Fusible webbing
- Buttons (optional)
- Crochet hook (optional)
- Sewing machine
- Chenille yarn in 3 colors to coordinate with sweater
- Hot-glue gun; hotmelt adhesive
How to Make It:
- Trace the stocking pattern onto tracing paper; cut out.
- Use the pattern to cut one stocking front from sweater. If using part of a sweater with buttons, use sewing thread and needle to tack opening closed. For a cuff, add 3 to 4 inches of sweater at top of the pattern. From felt, cut out a lining and a back. Cut one stocking shape from fusible webbing.
- Following manufacturer's instructions, fuse stocking front to one felt lining piece using fusible webbing.
- Sew decorative trims, such as buttons, pom-poms, or fringe, to stocking front. To add fringe, use a crochet hook to pull yarn loops through cuff edge.
- Sew stocking front to back around the edges, using a 1/4-inch seam, leaving an opening at the top.