Make an Easy, Colorful Christmas Stocking from Felt
0 did it
What You Need:
- Tracing paper
- Two 1/2-yard pieces of felt or fleece
- 2 yards of 1 1/2 -inch-wide crafts ribbon
- Thread in coordinating color
- Sewing machine
- Paper-back fusible webbing
- Decorative-edge scissors or rotary cutter with pinking blade
- 1/4 Yard cotton batik fabric
- 1 yard each of wool yarn in coordinating colors
- Felting needle
- Felting needle mat
continue reading below
How to Make It:
- NOTE: Felt cannot withstand a hot iron. Place a press cloth between the fabric and iron to prevent damaging the felt. Follow directions for the felting needle tool and mat to felt wool yarn to the stocking front. In lieu of felting tools, machine-zigzag yarn to the fabric.
- Trace the stocking pattern; cut out. Trace and cut out star patterns.
- Fold fabric in half lengthwise. Using stocking pattern, cut front and back.
- For ribbon stocking, pin ribbon lengths on stocking front for a cuff, heel, and toe as shown. Sew along edge of each ribbon to attach to stocking front. Place stocking front and back together, wrong sides facing. Machine-stitch a 1/2-inch seam allowance around stocking edges, leaving top open at cuff.
- For star stocking, follow directions for fusible webbing to adhere webbing on the cotton batik fabric. Cut out star shapes and peel paper off the fusible webbing. Follow directions on fusible webbing package to fuse stars to stocking front. Machine-satin-stitch or zigzag-stitch the edges of each star to secure to stocking front. Follow directions for felting needle tool to adhere yarn lengths as shown. Place front and back stocking pieces together with wrong sides facing. Sew 1/2-inch seam allowance. Machine-stitch around stocking, leaving the top open at the cuff.
- For both stockings, trim sewn edges with decorative-edge scissors or rotary cutter pinking blade. Do not pink cuff edges. Turn under the edge of the cuff 1/4 inch and machine-stitch around it. For a hanger, cut a 1x6-inch length of felt or use a 6-inch length of ribbon and fold in half. Sew to inside of the heel side of the cuff.