- Tape together sheets of newsprint to measure 50 inches square. Fold newsprint in half both ways to locate the center; open up newsprint.
- Using the yardstick, draw a circle with a 24-inch radius on the newsprint. Cut out circle. Draw a second circle with a 4-inch radius centered in the newsprint circle. Make a straight cut from the outer edge to the center of the large circle. Cut out the smaller circle.
Note: The pattern allows for 1⁄2-inch seam allowances.
- Using the newsprint pattern, cut one large circle from both the cable-knit throw and the bedsheet. Using the rotary cutter, cut three 4-inch-wide strips the length of the red wool felt.
- Sew together short ends of wool felt strips to create one long strip. Fold the strip over the cord with wrong sides together and sew close over cord to make piping.
- With right sides together, sew piping around outside edge of cable-knit circle, trimming away excess piping. Due to the bulk of the cable-knit fabric and felt, the tree skirt lining requires some hand-sewing.
- Pin lining to cable-knit circle with right sides together. Sew together on all edges except the outside edge. Clip corners and curves, turn right side out, and press. Turn under 1⁄2 inch on outside raw edge of lining and pin to cable-knit skirt; hand-sew in place.
- Referring to instructions for felt poinsettia Christmas ornaments, below, and using red and glittered-red felt, make desired number of poinsettias topped with red metallic beads. Don't create the hanging loop, and sew poinsettias around edge of tree skirt.
See how to make felt poinsettias.