Make a Jolly Santa Pillow for Christmas
Create a handmade felt pillow for Christmas that features Santa's jolly face
What You Need:
- Felt: 1/2 yard of green, 1/3 yard each of fuzzy white and red, 1/4 yard each of blue and skin tone, and scraps of white and black
- Pinking shears
- Tracing paper
- Matching sewing threads
- Transfer paper
- Fabrics glue
- Polyester fiberfill
continue reading below
How to Make It:
- Use a pinking shears to cut three 18-inch green felt squares for the pillow front, back, and frame.
- Cut away a 13-inch square from the center of one of the green squares, creating a 2-1/2-inch wide border frame.
- Trace the patterns from the downloadable pdf onto tracing paper; cut out the shapes. Use the patterns to cut the pieces needed from the indicated color of felt. Refer to the photograph to position the felt pieces.
- Sew the felt pieces to the pillow front about 1¿8 inch from the edges using matching thread, unless otherwise indicated.
- Pin the green frame on one green square for the pillow front. Position the red shirt on the pillow front, tucking the edges under the frame; pin in place.
- Tuck the blue background piece behind the shirt and the frame; pin in place.
- Sew the shirt and background pieces to the pillow front.
- Position and sew the remaining pieces to the pillow front in the following order: hat, beard, face, mouth, mustache, hat trim, and pom-pom.
- Transfer the nose shape onto the face with transfer paper.
- Use black straight stitches to sew over the transferred line.
- Glue the eyes and eyebrows on the face.
- Center the appliqued pillow front on the pillow back.
- Sew the pillow front to the back 1/2 inch from the inside edges of the green frame, changing the thread color as needed and leaving a 7-inch opening at the bottom.
- Stuff the pillow with fiberfill and sew opening closed.
- Position and glue the letters on the pillow front as shown with fabrics glue.