What You Need:
for welcoming the holiday season.
- Tracing paper
- Orange Sculpey polymer clay
- 1-3/4-inch length of 1/4-inch diameter dowel
- Metal baking sheet
- Aluminum foil
- 2 x 4 x 6-inch piece of pine
- Drill and 3/8-inch drill bit
- Medium- and fine-grit sandpaper
- Wood sealer
- Navy blue acrylic paint
- 18-gaue black wire
- Two 3/4-inch diameter black buttons
- 1/2 yard of ivory chenille fabric
- Polar fleece: 1/4 yard of navy-and-green plaid
- Scrap of burgundy knit fabric
- Scrap of burgundy felt
- Styrofoam balls: 6-inch diameter for body and 3-1/2-inch diameter for head
- Foam glue
- Medium-weight polyester quilt batting
- Glue gun and hotmelt adhesive
- Strong string
- 2 6-inch lengths of 3/8-inch diamter dowel
- Wire hanger
- Tan pearl cotton
- 3 assorted 3/4-inch to 7/8-inch diameter buttons
- two 1/2-inch diameter black half-ball button for eyes
- Miniature tin birdhouse
1. Download the free pattern for this project (Downloading requires Adobe Acrobat software).
2. Knead the orange clay until it is smooth and pliable. Make a cone shaped from the clay about 1-1/2-inch long and 3/4-inch wide at the base. Twist the nose slightly, swirling the clay to resemble a carrot. Insert one end of the 1/4-inch diameter dowel about 1/2-inch into the base of the nose. Follow the manufacturer's instructions to bake the nose.
3. Trace the shoe pattern twice onto the 2 x 4 x 6-inch piece of pine. Cut out the wood shapes with a scrollsaw. Drill a 3/4-inch deep hole at the center top of each shoe. Sand the shoes and apply wood sealer. Sand again with fine-grit sandpaper.
4. Apply two coats of navy blue paint to the shoes. Use fine-grit sandpaper to remove paint from the edges of the shoes.