Sew Heart-Shape Christmas Ornaments in Red and White
Sew these pretty heart-shape Christmas ornaments from linen, polka dot fabric, and embroidery floss.
What You Need:
- Red polka dot fabrics
- Water-soluble pen
- Fusible web (we used Bondaweb)
- Embroidery floss: red, white, and ecru
- Polyester fiberfill
continue reading below
How to Make It:
- Prepare the Pieces. Trace the heart shape onto tracing paper. Cut one shape from linen and one from polka dot fabric for each ornament. Trace the bird and star patterns onto tracing paper. Tape the traced patterns to a sunny window or light box. Center the linen hearts over the patterns and trace the designs with a water-soluble pen. Following the manufacturer's instructions, iron fusible web to the wrong side of the polka dot fabric. Trace the bird and star appliques onto tracing paper. Cut out the shapes and then trace them onto the polka dot fabric. Cut out the appliques.
- Embellish the Ornaments. Remove the paper backing from the appliques and, using the photo as a guide, place them on the linen hearts; iron in place. Use two strands of floss for all embroidery. Define the bird outlines with red running stitches. Make a red French knot for the bird's eye. Blanket-stitch around the star with white.
- Assemble the Ornaments. With right sides together and using a 1/2-inch seam allowance, sew the ornament fronts to the backs, leaving 1-inch openings for turning. Turn right side out and steam-press. Attach ecru floss hanging loops. Stuff the hearts with fiberfill and sew the openings closed.